A patent is a monopoly right for protecting technical innovation, giving the holder the right to exclude others from exploiting the innovation (e.g. by using a patented process, or selling products made by a patented process; or making, using or selling patented products). The exact scope of rights granted by a patent varies according to country.
In most countries a patent lasts for up to 20 years. Renewal fees have to be paid (annually in the majority of countries) to keep the patent in force.
While patents are generally only national in extent, there are a range of multi-national arrangements that permit wide protection, or keep open options for wide protection. Identifying an invention and ensuring that it is covered by a patent of appropriate scope requires skill and expertise.
Each of our advisors has one or more scientific or engineering qualifications and together we cover all fields of technology. We can counsel you on all aspects of the patent process from identifying innovation through to grant and subsequent portfolio management. Our patent services include:-
- Pre filing searches and freedom to operate searches
- Patent watching services
- Drafting patent applications for multiple jurisdictions
- Filing and prosecuting UK and European patent applications, international patent applications and overseas patent applications via overseas agents;
- Representation before the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO) and the European Patent Office (EPO) on various matters including oppositions and appeals
- Infringement and validity opinions
- Patent portfolio management
- Patent enforcement, often in collaboration with other legal professionals
- Entitlement and inventorship disputes
- Assignments and licensing agreements